I am trying to incorporate cultural variety into our menu. My husband loves middle eastern, so we adapted this recipe for be dairy free and kid friendly.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless and skin less)
Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- ½ cup Plain Almond Milk Yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a gallon Ziploc bag add chicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together the spices, onion, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic. Add to bag with chicken and toss to coat.
- Marinate in fridge for 3 to 12 hours.
- Add everything to a baking dish and cook in preheated oven for 45 mins. Cover with foil for first 30 minutes and uncover for the last 15 minutes.
- Make Yogurt sauce while chicken cooks, stores in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest covered for 15 mins before cutting it into slices.
- Serve over tumeric rice and drizzle yogurt sauce on, side of pita and hummus. I also have served with some shredded lettuce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in saucepan, add onion and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add rice and turmeric; stir to coat.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, cover and simmer 17 minutes.
- Stir in remaining butter, remove bay leaf, serve.