I LOVE Naan Bread, but with my allergies I have not been able to have it for the past three years. I finally have a great recipe! I combined several recipes and this one has turned out the best, with the chewy taste of yeasted bread!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 15 oz unsweetened Greek style almond milk yogurt (I used Kite Hill)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add oil, milk, and yogurt. Mix together until it forms a ball, add flour as needed if too sticky. Knead until very smooth and elastic- at least 5 minutes- adding more flour as necessary.
- Cover dough in a bowl with a towel, and let dough rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll one piece of dough until very thin (less than 1/8 inch).
- Melt tablespoon margarine, or your favorite dairy free butter, before you cook each piece. One at a time, cook the Naan until parts are blacking on each side (about 1.5 to 2 min).
- Optional- brush with butter and add seasoning (cilantro, garlic, etc).