|The recipes makes 8 scones....but they were so irresistible that I ate before I could take the picture!|
CINNAMON RAISIN SCONES
Egg Free & Dairy Free
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup sugar + 1 tsp sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine, cold (I put a stick of margarine in freezer for 5 to 10 minutes)
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 1/2 cup DF sour cream (I use Tofutti sour cream)
• 1/3 cup applesauce
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• 1 to 2 tsp almond milk
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda salt, and cinnamon. Cut butter into flour mixture ; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should look like coarse meal), then stir in raisins.
3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and applesauce until smooth.
4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to make the dough into a ball in the ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and at first it seems too dry, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a greased cookie sheet (or use sheet lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes.
6. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes
7. Make icing by combing sugar and almond milk. Add icing to top and serve warm or at room temperature.