I never thought I'd be one to make my own Enchilada sauce, but necessity is the mother of invention. I tinkered with a few recipes last month when we were snowed in and I was craving enchiladas. I am sure it isn't super authentic, but my family LOVES it, and it goes great with my Freezer Chicken Enchiladas.
Easy Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3-4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup salsa (as mild or as spicy as your your family likes)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
- Mix together and then stir in the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.